Every day more people use electric bicycles. They are a great means of transportation to get around the city streets and travel distances in a shorter time, without the need to sweat pedaling all the time. If you are reading this post is because you want to know how to charge an ebike battery without a charger.
You can use electric bicycles to go around the city, and you can use them on your vacations and visit places in nature that you have not reached. In those cases, it is necessary to be careful with the battery since it is not eternal and you may not always find a place to plug in your charger.
For the same reason, we bring you this article, where we will tell you how to charge an ebike battery without a charger. This way, you can go anywhere you want without the fear of having to pedal back home.
How to charge an ebike battery without a charger?
In most cases, to charge an electric bike battery, you need a charger. This is because the battery is recharged with a dedicated battery charger plugged into an outlet.
Some auxiliary batteries allow you to recharge your bike’s battery almost anywhere you are. These batteries work in a similar way to the batteries that you have in the charger of your cell phone or any other device wirelessly.
These auxiliary batteries are very useful, but in most cases, you cannot use the bike while charging it. They are very useful if you go on vacation and do not know if you will have a place to plug in your charger, but in very few cases you can charge and use the bike at the same time. This is unsafe for you and also for the bike battery.
Is there any type of battery that is not charged with electricity?
When thinking about e-bikes we always think that we have to charge them plugged in, but there are different ways to do it. One of the most popular ways on how to charge an ebike battery without a charger is to use batteries that do not need electricity to charge.
The most popular option is the battery that charges with the help of solar panels. Some batteries come with a charging box made of solar panels, and while it’s a great way to help the environment, it has the big downside of taking longer.
You must be a patient person if you choose this option since the charging time will be longer if the intensity of the solar panels is not very high. Another disadvantage is that they are usually more expensive, but if you want to help the environment and not depend on electricity, this is a great option.
How do I make the battery of the ebike last longer?
Now that you know how to charge an ebike battery without a charger, we will give you some tips so you can save the battery charge on your electric bike. In this way, you will not have to charge it so often, and you will also help the useful life of your electric battery to be longer.
The best tips to make your battery charge last longer are the following:
- For the wheels of your electric bike make sure you use tires that are specific for e-bikes and are inflated to the correct pressure. Many people don’t know it, but a bike with under-inflated tires uses more battery power. So that you know if the pressure is correct, you just have to look at the pressure indicated on the side of the cover.
- You must do a small research to get to know your bike in greater depth. That means finding out what its maximum and minimum speeds are and what its autonomy capacity is. Knowing all this, you will be able to use it much more consciously.
- If you can remove the battery from your bike, then we recommend that you store the battery in a dry, temperature-controlled place. This is even more important during long periods of inactivity, as there is nothing worse for a battery than not being used.
- If you can’t store it indoors, protect it from the elements with a protective cover. In this case, we recommend that you buy a good quality one since it needs to be permeable but not melt in the heat of the battery.
- As we said before, the worst thing about a battery is not being used. That’s why you should use your e-bike regularly and run the battery to prevent it from being used up due to inactivity.
Can I remove the battery from my eBike at some point?
In some models of electric bikes, you can remove the battery, either to recharge it or for anything else.
Generally, it is rare to remove the battery from the bicycle to recharge the electric bike in the case of weekly or daily recharging. In most cases, you can plug it directly into the bike. However, there are some cases where it is better to remove the battery from the bike.
For example, if you use your electric bicycle during the winter or in the cold months, if you store it in a garage or storage room where the temperature is low, it is recommended that you remove the battery from the bicycle and take it inside your home at a moderate temperature. You can then safely charge the battery indoors without the risk of being damaged by the cold or damp winter air.
If you know that you will not be able to use the bike for several weeks, you shouldn’t leave the battery in the bicycle. Charge it up to 60% and recharge it approximately once a month. It is advisable not to allow the load to drop below 30% for long periods.
Before cleaning the eBike or when transporting it in the car, also remove the battery. It is probably more difficult to do when you have to use public transport, but it would be recommended that you do it then as well. In this way, you avoid hitting or filling it with water or chemicals while you clean it.
I hope this post was useful to you and you learned something new. Do you want to see our Reviews and Buyer’s Guide about electric bikes for women? You can check here Best Electric Bikes for Women in 2024.